Monday, September 14, 2009

Question: What do you do when you see something happening that doesn’t look like it will turn out well, and you can’t stop it?

I’m just asking.

Not to get all heavy and melancholy, but there are things I see going on in life, both personal and general, that aren’t healthy, and don’t look sustainable.

I’m not really sure what to do about any of it.

Buddhism would tell me to just watch the train wreck. Accept the train wreck. Lean into the train wreck.

Easier said than done.

Buddha didn’t live in the age of iPhones and 24/7 availability people now have, wherever they are.

But the point is still sound: watch the disaster, try some equanimity, and breathe deeply. Everything changes. Everything will pass.

It reminds me of a cartoon I once saw of a guy at a doctor's (or guru's) office saying, “Yes, sure, I want to relax! But I want to do it now! I want to be on the cutting edge of relaxation!”

1 comment:

  1. I'm reminded of a stand-up comic who does this bit (I'm paraphrasing): You ever see something bad happening and you want to try to prevent it, but it's too complicated to explain? You know, like, "Wait, Miss, don't get out of the taxi just yet because there's a bicyclist coming down the block, and if you open the door, he's going to slam right into it and hurt himself!" Instead, all you can do is point frantically and jump up and down yelling, "BAD THING!!!"

    ReplyDelete