Thursday, September 3, 2009

Comment: The Pandora’s Box of Gum

How does one deal with the whole “do as I say not as I do” scene in terms of parenting?

Specifically, my issue is with gum.

I tend to cast aspersions on it in general, and I do not allow my kids to chew it. They think it’s gross and I’m sure that’s because I gave them that impression.

But I need gum these days. I am trying to lose a few pounds, and chewing gum after supper is better than scarfing on desserts and nuts and such while I’m cleaning the kitchen. Even though I’ve had dinner, I end up pigging out afterwards, so I thought the gum would work. (A friend suggested it.)

However, I can’t let my kids see me chewing gum. I’m supposed to loathe the very sight of it.

Guess I went a little too far in expressing my antipathy.

And I really don’t want to explain to the kids that I’m chewing gum because I want to lose a few pounds, because I don’t want to give THEM food issues. They don’t eat for comfort, I do. I don’t want to make them go down that winding, difficult road. They’re only 4 and 6, FFS!

So I don’t know what I’m going to do. Perhaps some stealth chewing? Sounds like something you’d see on a sit-com.

Or maybe I’ll have to go to mints. But I’ll probably have to justify the hypocrisy of being anti-candy.

Oh crap.

1 comment:

  1. Can we discuss this gum issue? I mean, as a teacher, I agree that there's a time and a place. But what's the problem with gum in general?

    ReplyDelete