Monday, September 21, 2009

Comment: Loser Barbies

I found myself harkening back to an earlier time in my life, as I sat with my daughter the other day, absent-mindedly playing Barbies. Suddenly, a thought came to me: I always get the Loser Barbies.

With two to choose from, my daughter chose, natch, the princess fairy fabulous Barbie, while she left me with the generic, lesser doll that is supposed to be a Barbie but is really a very cheap knock-off (her legs come off too easily, she’s hollow, it just ain’t right). And I thought, yup, again with the Loser Barbies.

When my sister and I were little, we played with Barbies. My sister always had the grown-up Malibu Barbie—beautiful, tan, blonde, leggy, booby, etc.

You know who I had, of course.

Malibu Skipper.

The second fiddle, little sister, flat-chested, boring.

The fact that my sister and I grew up to mirror the shapes of our childhood dolls is depressing, to say the least. Sure, my hair is blonde now, in parts, but my sister is naturally blonde. And curvy. And me? Skipperesque.

So of course I always wanted a Malibu Barbie.

So musing in the present time about Barbies; is it my lot in life to be second best? Or does it just mean I’m not as fussy as some people? Will I continue to take the Loser Barbies so someone I love can have the Barbie of her choice? It's embarrassing to admit that I was a victim of the Barbie Aspirational Culture, but that's what was out there; that's what we played with, that's what we grew up wanting to emulate. Impossibilty in an aqua one-piece and lavender shades.

It brings to mind that scene from “The Joy Luck Club,” where the main character’s mother says something like, “Waverley (the protag’s friend) she always takes the best food from the plate; always wants best quality for herself; you take what is left, because you have best quality heart.”

Or something like that.

Sounds like someone still wants her own Malibu Barbie.

I guess it’s never too late to fulfill your dreams. (Is there an emoticon for a sardonic grin? Because that’s what I’d put here if I could.)

But seriously, I do have the tendency to give up so other people can have what they want. Isn’t that the definition of motherhood? Best quality heart is better than wanting best quality. I'm pretty sure about that.

1 comment:

  1. Take solace that you don't find yourself in a Barbie--you're too unique, cool, amazing AND punk rock to be replicated in a doll!

    ReplyDelete