Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Comment: "I hope it’s not the swine flu!"

When I came downstairs at our building yesterday and asked for the concierge to call me when my delivery came from the drugstore via someone from my husband’s office (how entitled is THAT sentence, it's terrifying) because my kids are sick, the other dude talking with him said jovially, “I hope it’s not the swine flu!”

How, in any realm of anyone’s imagination, is that helpful to say out loud? Especially to an anxious (though seemingly living large) mother?

I’ve decided that here at QCC we don’t do enough fun things, so here’s my first: Lunkhead of the Month. This is an award for the person or persons who say or do the dumbest thing in a four week time period.

So the Lunkhead Award for Septemeber Goes to…..Random Man in Lobby.

Why do people think saying “I hope it’s not the swine flu” helps? Is it just their socially awkward anxiety spurting out, or what? Somebody else said that to me via email but I can’t remember who it was. I’m sure whoever it was is a stellar human being, but why say that?

Gosh, I hope you don’t have hepatitis! Or mange! Or scabies!

Oy.

1 comment:

  1. I am HURT! How--HOW--could the Solipsist not get the inaugural "LOTM"?!? Haven't I earned it by now?!?

    ReplyDelete