Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Complaint: Slouch Boots Are Back!!!

Like ohmygod, like, totally gag me with a retro spoon.

Please. The eighties were lots of decadent, stupid fun for people of a certain age. But it’s over now. Move on.org, people!

Let's not even mention the hideous recent trend of pigment-dyed (and/or acid-washed) jeans. And skinny jeans. And off the shoulder shirts with long inserted zippers. Then there are the black lace leggings. Shouldn’t we at least wait until Madonna retires before bringing back her pre-Material Girl look?

Maybe I’ m just shopping in the wrong places. But wait, I shop at Target. How could that be wrong?

I have seen several pairs of slouch boots and, totally gag me, the dreaded booties. Nobody looks good in these. Except maybe ten year old girls. And even then, it strikes me as precocious and a little too elf-life.

I mean, have we learned nothing?

And speaking of vacuousness and stupidity, I see that there is TV a show called “Toddlers and Tiaras.” It's about little girls (and their psychotic mothers) who compulsively do beauty pageants. And from the thirty second promo I saw, it looks worse than even “Real Chance at Love.” The former is out and out exploitation. Of children. At least RCL involves consenting adults.

I can not imagine why anyone, I mean ANYONE would want their child to dress like sluts at age three. In fact, the topic of make up came up with my four year old daughter fairly recently; she asked me if she could wear lipstick. I said no. Little children don't need make up; shouldn't wear make up.

How do you explain to a small child that you don’t want to whore them out to the highest bidder?

Because yes, there’s now a term for the phenomenon of tarting up your little girl and parading her around for prizes: prostitots.

So pervasive there’s a WORD for it.

Eww.

It’s just sick and gross to paint your child and make them strut around in belly shirts, heavy makeup and heels. I mean, WTF? When you see a grown woman dressed like that, you think, hoochie mama, right? So how the hell does that translate to cute on little kids?

Stop sexualizing small children. They are not trophies. They are not Barbies. They are not dolls of any kind. What kinds of people do these pageant pawns grow up to be?

Stop the insanity.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your post, but I think my favorite line was: "I shop at Target. How could that be wrong."

    New slogan for the store: "If Target is wrong, I don't WANT to be right!"

    ReplyDelete