Friday, September 11, 2009

Another Related Question:When do kids stop talking publicly to other kids about their blankies?

I wonder because my son wanted to bring in his blankie for what in the old days we’d call “show and tell”. It’s now a bag wherein you put five items relating to yourself; it’s (seriously) called the “all about me” bag. Sign of the times.

So my son wanted to put his blankie in the bag. And I worried about his school yard cred. But he's so young. Blankies are still sacred at that age, aren't they?

Luckily he mentioned that another little girl in his class had brought in HER blankie earlier in the week , so I thought, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

And he brought it in today and all was good.

I just wonder at what point kids start teasing the kids who talk about their blankies. Kids reach a certain age when they decide that they no longer want to please anyone in authority, and that they know way more than anyone else.

I had thought that happened around age 12 or 13, but it’s actually much younger. Adolescent rebellion starts early. Fourth graders are all into pop culture and hip hop and being “sick” (aka cool). (Reminds me of The Simpsons: The cool character they invent whose name eludes me says to Marge and Homer, “Thanks for letting me chill in your crib.” To which Homer replies, “Thank YOU for assuming we’re hip.”)

But really, should a second grader be familiar with Homer Simpson’s body of work? And should any elementary school aged child be watching Family Guy? (Um, no.)

How early is too early for sarcasm, deadpan humor and songs about hos?

Again, I’m just askin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment