Monday, September 7, 2009

Comment: There’s something ironic about working on Labor Day.

But when you think about it, there are always people working on holidays. It’s just that so many of us are accustomed to having certain holidays off, every year, without fail. So when suddenly someone in the family has to work on labor day, it seems somehow wrong.

Bu really, though not everybody gets paid to work, every day is a work day on some level. I mean, if we define work as doing something that requires labor, then everyone works, all the time, don’t they?

How come mothers don't have unions?

I remember going into labor for the first time. I thought it was the flu. Bad flu. Or food poisoning. Turns out it was my son, making an early entrance into the world.

And the labor with my daughter happened in the middle of my getting a chest x-ray. I said to the technician. “I think I’m going into labor.” And she kind of smiled and said, “Stand still, honey.” A few short hours later, my daughter was born, early bird number two.

Happy Labor Day, Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment