Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Comment: Ambivalence-R-Us

My kids are safely and happily ensconced in their new school. My husband is at his very demanding job.

I am a wreck.

I thought I would be relieved and happy when the kids were off to school; be careful what you wish for. With them in school, the days suddenly loom longer than ever. I feel as though my life consists of dropping off, picking up, and waiting.

I’m in what Dr. Seuss calls “The Waiting Place.” Once we move, and I get more work, I’ll be busy and likely much happier again. But right now, I wait.

You can’t rush getting a new job; you can’t rush a closing date on a house. I know I should be enjoying my newfound freedom, but it has left me hollow. Sure, last week, I was elated. But that’s worn off. I’m sure things will balance out again soon enough. Just not now.

All of our agony comes from waiting, doesn’t it? Waiting for something to end. Waiting for something to start.

Pema Chodron says we should “lean into the sharp points.” This, as opposed to avoiding the things we don’t like by compulsively and incessantly eating, shopping, drinking and other ing-ing too much.

Lean into the sharp points.

It’s worth a try. But right now? Ow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm getting this disturbing vision of you as Marge Simpson in the episode where Homer takes a job working for Hank Scorpio: sitting in a well-appointed kitchen, puring glass after glass of wine. Make the most of the quiet time.

    ReplyDelete