Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Question: What three songs sound best at full volume?

I got that "writing prompt" off Plinky. I was feeling uninspired, so I checked out my friend and bloggeur extraordinaire The Solipsist's post today and he suggested it, so here I am.

What I should be writing about is how I'm not handling being the solo parent these days. It's only been three days since my husband relocated to his new job across the country, and I'm already fried. I thought I had more stamina but it isn't forthcoming.

The worst part is the only time I talk to my husband is on Skype (when it works, the bastard) and that's in addition to doing so with two small children squirming on my lap, sticking out their tongues, singing, and typing on the keyboard. It's nice for the kids, and for Dad to see them, but it's not exactly quality "couple time."

I'm usually so grouchy by the end of the day that I'm miserable to be around and leave the impression that every day has sucked. And this isn't true. We're doing okay, we have lovely moments and much calm during the day. Skyping during the witching hours? Not so much.

So I feel badly that I'm not perky, amusing and pleasant (or at least one of three) when our quality time is so limited. And when the technology doesn't cooperate? Woe betide the poor souls who are within screaming distance. I'm really the most impatient person on the planet when it comes to technology. I just get so mad. Which is just so useless. My tech support is a thousand miles away in a different time zone.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the answer is. I don't want to not communicate at all, because that seems worse. But how fun is it to be alone in a new city starting a new job and having a total of about ten minutes a day to see/speak to your kids and wife and the former are distracted and the latter is a swamp witch?

It's sub-optimal.

I want to do better. But I don't really know what to do about it. Phone calls during working hours in a new job? Don't seem wise. We could IM, because you're more in control of tone. (Plus I'm much wittier in print than in person.) But we have a time difference to deal with.

I don't know.

Technology is amazing, but nothing beats good ole person to person contact.

And nothing else ever will.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your sub-optimalism. Of course, I feel deprived at not hearing about which songs sound best at full volume. Then again, I congratulate you for fending off the Plinky! Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete