Thursday, May 7, 2009

Complaint: Forget you, Lost.

Is it just me or has Lost just about lost its way for good? I’m no theoretical physicist, but it seems to me that if you’re dealing with time travel, it shouldn’t be possible to see yourself in the past AND live the future you’ve already lived. Because in your future, you’d KNOW that you saw yourself in the past. I mean, does amnesia play a role in time travel? Because at least then something would make sense.

Again, though physics is not my strong suit (my high school teacher salivated when he talked about trajectories, it was very disturbing), but explain to me how these people see themselves in the past, don’t remember themselves in the future (which is past) and live simultaneously in two different time frames.

I haven’t checked out any Lost fansites (I did when I was on bedrest, but licking the roof of your mouth is entertainment when you’re on bedrest) but it occurs to me that things are getting so meta and freaky that either the writers are really and calculatingly (adverb for Solipsist!) brilliant, or they have no idea what the hell they’re doing and they’re hoping their fans have short memories/attention spans. (We don’t.)

I just want to get away from Lost. It’s just not compelling to me anymore. I don’t care anymore what’s happened or what’s happening or what’s going to happen. How many times do we have to see young Charlotte on a damn swing? Why are we being forced to deal with a totally daytime soap opera level love triangle? And why doesn’t John Locke stop smiling? And please, for the love of the Dharma Initiative, when are we going to see Jacob? (And don't tell me Jacob is a symbol for God or I'll get all smoke monster on your asses.)

I have so many questions it makes me just want to erase my own memory and pretend I never watched Lost in the first place. Do you think I could just go back in time and forget the whole thing? Or would I remember that I'd forgotten?

My brain hurts.

1 comment:

  1. Dude. A single-threaded timeline is SOOO 1940s sci-fi. All true acolytes now know the "many worlds" theory. Essentially, there is no single absolute.

    Think of the time as a tree, not a line. Every branch is a decision point or a random event. You going "back in time" to see yourself introduces a branch. Your worldline is one of the branches, the "did not see you" branch. The other branch leads to a much different future, but you aren't a part of that future.

    You wander along your worldline, and then zoop! You loop back and see yourself. BUT YOU DON'T SEE *YOU*, YOU SEE a *similar* worldline, one whose essential difference from yours is that the person in that worldline *did* see you.

    ReplyDelete