Saturday, May 16, 2009

Comment: Monsters Inc.? Not so bad.

As a quick movie review (because it's too damn hot to do anything else) I'll tell you that the family and I finally watched Monsters Inc.. I think it came out at least five years ago, but hey you know, we're on the cutting edge (of something.)

As kid-movies-that-adults-have-to-watch-with-them, it was pretty good. The voices were all superlatively famous people whom you couldn't quite identify, since the voices were coming out of blue furry heads or cyclops-type monster dealies.

The story is actually very sweet: a little girl infiltrates the monster world and turns it upside down. Chaos ensues, particularly due to a villainous monster (the anomaly, of course) and happiness reigns when he is dispatched. The movie even goes so far as to say, monsters don't need to scare children to gain their power (literally or metaphorically) but instead choose laughter as the most powerful gift of all.

Corny? Yes. Sweet? Yes. Reminiscent of a time when movies had simple plots and no guns? You betcha. That Andrew Stanton, he writes good kid movie.

And now that the kids are in bed, I'm going to eat more kettle corn. Don't try and stop me.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen "Monsters, Inc.," but I did finally get to "Wall-E" (quite good) and "Kung Fu Panda" (funny). How's that for sophisticated film criticism?

    ReplyDelete