Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Comment: Life Prep

I was IM-ing with my pal The Solipsist today, telling him how I am in pre-pack mode at our house. We move in three weeks, and since we're lucky enough to have someone else packing and loading the truck for us (for money, duh) then it doesn't force me to have to do it while my husband toils away across the country and I take care of the kids here.

What is does mean is that I'm never really sure what I'm supposed to be doing in preparation for the move. Sure, things like getting medical records and figuring out what forms schools and summer programs need are on my to-do list. But I walk around the house in a bit of a daze, knowing I should be doing something, but not knowing what the hell it is.

This haze of throwing/giving away stuff and rearranging clutter I like to call "pre-packing." That's what I'm doing. I'm almost, but not quite, packing. It's almost more a mental exercise than anything.

What The Solipsist pointed out to me was this: we are always in pre-pack mode. We are always preparing for something, at some future point, for which we hope to be prepared.

And I thought, wow: Life is all pre-packing.

So where are we thinking our actual destination/event is, exactly? What are we pre-packing for? And do we really need our tootbrushes and extra socks there, anyway?

Somehow I doubt it.

1 comment:

  1. As long as you don't forget your towel! (See "Hitchikers G to the G.")

    ReplyDelete