Thursday, April 29, 2010

Complaint: There's a Hole in the Bucket

Okay, so I'm all fired up right now because I've spent the last hour on the phone and the Web trying to sign up for a basic college-level math class.

Why? I want to transfer my Clear California Teaching Credential to this fine, draconian state. And they need me to take two college-level math classes for the permission to teach in their crumbling school system.

It turns out I've got to take a placement test, which I will probably fail, since I haven't taken any math since the 80s. Then I'll have to take intro math courses, which won't count towards the requirement.

THEN I'll need to take the required math classes. And I will need to pass those.

But wait, there's more!

I may have mentioned I also need to prove that my earlier college education in Canada was more than alcohol-based. (It won't be easy.)

And the damn Praxis dog and pony show tests are coming up next month.

It shouldn't be this hard to get a teaching job when you're already a teacher in two states.

Why am I doing this again?

So I can teach English at the high school level?

Is that even what I want to do anymore?

Honestly? Not really.

I'm really close to just saying, Suck it, DOE, and staying in the private school system. I'm more likely to be able to do what I want there, anyway.

Isn't life too short to be wasting so much time on bullshit?

1 comment: