Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Comment: All Lost in the Supermarket

There are some days when you just can't do anything right in the eyes of your child. Or maybe it goes both ways. There are just some days when you're at cross purposes, and you aren't able to do anything to the satisfaction of the other.

Or maybe it's an ear infection.

Or maybe I have an ear infection.

I've just been in this blah mood all day, in spite of sunshine, running, even Target.

In fact, that's partly what's troubling me: I didn't enjoy Target.

This is newsworthy. But really, I feel like I've been trying to fill a void with shopping for years, if I'm honest with myself. There is that constant, gnawing need to fill the insatiable hole within. (Don't be gross, you know what I mean.)

We have become a nation of rabid consumers, and it's killing us. We're fat and depressed and isolated, as well as socially and educationally behind much of the developed world.

Feeling a little grim today, sorry. A little like Morrissey's fabulous song, "Something is Squeezing My Skull."

But really, I just notice that I'm gritting my teeth a lot, and my jaw really does ache.

When I was in the grocery store today, I was amazed at the proliferation of fake food. There is so little real food left in conventional grocery stores. I mean, there's food-like product: infused with vitamins and minerals, devoid of natural fat, replete with high fructose corn syrup and scary dyes that make your skin break out. But it isn't FOOD.

I felt like just abandoning my cart and leaving, but I needed to hunt and forage for the few real food items hidden in the store.

Just call me Melancholy. (Head like a melon, face like a colllie, hyuk.)

How can I be so gloomy on such a sunny day?

Maybe I'm just tired.

And of course there's the whole ear infection hypothesis.

Just call me Eeyore today. Hopefully tomorrow will be more Tigger-like. Or at the least, Rabbity or Pooh-ish.

1 comment:

  1. In our class, we're having the students read "Affluenza" by John de Graaf, et al. They discuss much of what you mention. See, you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete