Saturday, May 1, 2010

Comment: A Cure for Boredom

Transitions are always difficult, even when they're positive ones.

I'm finding myself at the cusp of multiple transitions: my children are growing up and needing me less, I am having more time to myself, and quite frankly, it scares the crap out of me.

Okay, I'm exaggerating. (I always do.)

But what I'm also seeing is that we've now lived in our new adopted city for nearly a year, and the hyper-get-up-and-go of the first six months is long gone, and the dreary winter is just gone, and suddenly the summer is looming.

And I see my kids doing all sorts of things, while I...wait.

For a job, for a playmate my own size to come over while my kids play, for a project to become my passion.

Because that's what I need: a project.

My husband, ever the pragmatist, suggested I paint the inside of the house.

Not a bad idea. It would certainly keep me busy.

But I guess I was kind of hoping for something that wasn't solitary.

Am I going to have to like, start a book group, or something? And would it be so bad if I did?

A summer self-help group for moms who are in transition? (I believe Mothers and More has that covered, at least technically; how I miss the Pasadena chapter! The only chapter out here is in the burbs, and urban mamas such as myself are not going to schlep all the way out there to hear a nutritionist tell us what to feed our kids.)

So. Hmm. I guess I'm going to have to get some inspiration and get off my ass and do something.

Which would be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Whatever happened to the NaNoWriMo project? You could always work on that.

    ReplyDelete