Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Comment: Zen Momma is in the House

No, not me. Although I consider myself as aspiring Buddhist, (albeit a lazy one who likes wine), I am no match for Karen Maezen Miller.

She is sort of the ultimate modern Buddhist. She has a family, a career, keeps her hair short and her sentences dense and rich in her new book, "Hand Wash Cold." (and is it just me, or is that sentence book jacket cheesy or what?)

Anyway, I'm barely into it and I can tell it's going to be another one like her first, "Zen Momma", one I will go back to over and over for inspiration.

Her writing is more swirly and fancy shmancy (that's the industry term) and lyrical.

But I like it. And I like what she says.

This book is really a memoir, but the most interesting parts to me are when she zooms out and gets to the big picture. She has a great image of us as a species who walk around with six foot flames over our heads, and we don't get how we can extinguish this burning nuisance. (Short answer: meditation, self-awareness, cutting through the bullshit).

I'll have more to say, without a doubt, as I read it.

So I'm off now to read more, since I can always use some perspective. I still have a flame over my head. But it's not blazing at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great book and I love the image of flames over our heads. That was me yesterday rushing to the dry cleaner and the library before I picked up Grace....and for what???

    ReplyDelete