Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Complaint: Curse You, Darkness!

WHAT is UP with the mid-Atlantic region?

WHERE ARE THE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS?

HANNUKAH LIGHTS?

KWANZAA LIGHTS?

SOLSTICE LIGHTS?

Yes, yes, I realize that it's too early for Hannukah and Kwanzaa (who both definitely light candles, so there's some light for sure) and I know Solstice celebrates light on principle.

But WHAT is UP?

There are STILL no lights other than ours on our street. And my cub reporter on the street (husband) tells me there are no Christmas lights up around his entire drive into and out of the city.

Is it because we're needing to be sensitive to the diversity of the holiday season? I mean, I saw a MAJOR nativity scene, WHICH WAS NOT LIT UP, so clearly some Christians feel it's okay to celebrate publicly.

And anyway, I'm not even Christian, nor do I celebrate Hannukah, Kwanzaa or Solstice.

I just celebrate the secular version of Christmas, and I do it with LIGHTS.

It's really strange to me, this dearth of lights. Other than that, I've found my new home to be friendly, fabulous, full of partying and massive sandwiches. All excellent things.

Is it the shitty economy and the cost of lights? I don't know.

But I'm going to do my best to find out what the hell is going on here.

1 comment: