Friday, December 4, 2009

Comment: Again with the Glee.

If you had told me ten years ago (or even two) that I'd be belting out a Celine Dion tune in my car on my way to get my kids from school, I would have laughed or, at the very least, mocked you indignantly.

I mean, Celine Dion?! I know I'm Canadian, but really? I'm just NOT a ballad type of gal.

I've always been more of a Sex Pistols/Clash/English Beat type of person.

But this is what Glee will do to you.

The songs that would normally make me hurl if I was unfortunate enough to hear them on the radio have been made three dimensional by the show.

Suddenly it's not a scarily skinny and tan French Canadian singing in English in Vegas (sequins required upon entry); it's a teenaged girl singing about her major, capital C crush.

And who among us hasn't been there?

We just weren't able to sing about it. (Probably a good thing, overall.)

But as I've mentioned here before, Glee allows you to relive your own teen angst again, only performed by more talented and better looking people. It's cathartic. And that's why I love it, and I suspect that's why other people love it, too. It's dark and wry, but it's also sincere.

The first post I did for this blog was about everyone secretly wanting to be a rock star.

Maybe Glee is showing us that everyone secretly wants to be a soulful singer in times of turmoil. (Okay, even I'm impressed with that awesome alliteration).

Singing does make you feel better, when you really, truly sing.

If only we could belt out our angst. Would the world be a better place?

Or just noisier?

Only one way to find out.







PS-If Jane Lynch doesn't get an Emmy for her role as Sue Sylvester, there is no justice.

2 comments: