Sunday, December 20, 2009

Comment: A-Ha! Redux

Okay, something came to me today as I was standing with my daughter in the kitchen, singing into the nearest object I could find (ballpoint pen).

I love the Glee music so much because I love The Big Finish.

You know, the part at the end of each big song, the flourish, the apex, the climax, the peak.

And then the long holding of the final note as the hands go up (or down).

And then the raging applause.

Pure elation.

And the little shivers you get when you hear this part of a song, and imagine that you yourself are the star.

I love that feeling that you get when the last high note is hit perfectly, and all you're waiting for is applause.

Even though I haven't performed in years, that desire to be applauded after reaching my peak, is very much alive. (And I'm not even a singer!)

I think in some way it's alive in all of us.

We all want to do something so great that people will clap for us.

Unless you're a toddler, or a working performer, you're never gonna get it.

And that's too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment