Thursday, November 19, 2009

Question:Are there days when things move so slowly they appear to be moving backwards?

I’m just asking.

Because today was so very, very long…not bad, mind you, just kind of mind-numbing. The grey weather doesn’t help much. Neither does the gray weather.

Today it took all I had to just do the most basic things: feed the kids, get them to and from school, keep them safe.

Ariel Gore once wrote that “it takes a lot of loafing to raise a child,” and she’s right. Today I pretty much loafed. And she also said, “if it’s all you can do to get up in the morning, just get up in the morning.” Drop the expectations. Lower the bar.

Sure, maybe it’s because I’m fighting a virus, and maybe it’s because my son is home sick, and maybe it’s because I’m so tired I can’t concentrate and last night I put the salad in its Tupperware away in the cupboard, and maybe it’s because my husband is working so much I don’t recognize him when he shows up next to me in bed, and maybe it’s this dismal, dark weather.

But today? It was all I could do to get up.

At least I’m up. And dressed. Do I get points for that?

And even though today was a total molasses in January day, it wasn’t all bad. It just felt like the clock was moving backwards.

I suppose it’s possible. Ever heard of the Fundy reversing tides in New Brunswick? (not the one in NJ, because if there IS one there, it's probably toxic)

I’m just saying. Anything is possible.

But right now, what’s possible for me is the bare minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment