Monday, November 23, 2009

Comment: SuperGleek

Okay, I'm ready to out myself. I'm a Glee fan. The more I see of it, the more I love it.

It hits on so much: it's about the hardest period in your life, it's dark and funny, and it resolves many of its issues through song.

If only we'd sung at my high school, maybe I could have gotten the cute jock to like me instead of the Canadian equivalent of a cheerleader (Broomball star? Cosom hockey goalie?).

Who am I kidding? I WAS Glee. I mean, I was in BAND. And Drama Club. And I was unresolved and underdeveloped and terrified of my own shadow. I didn't have one tenth the moxie the Glee characters have.

So maybe that's why I love it so much. The show, I mean. Becasue I'm vicariously reliving my adolescence thanks to the good and scary people at FoxTV*.

I didn't break into song when I didn't get the lead in the school play, but now I can!

And here's the bonus: a LOT of the songs they're covering were big hits when I was in high school.

Clearly the creators of this show are somewhere in the GenerationX demographic.

I even bought Glee's first CD! And not for my kids!

What's funny is that in some ways show choir and Glee are the opposite of what I like to think I like: in college, I was an ACTING major, not a MUSICAL THEATRE major. This distinction was important to me and my friends because for some stupid reason we looked down on people with more talent and more moxie. Crazy kids.

I wish I had majored in musical theatre. Not because I want a career on Broadway, but because I could have learned to play piano, dance and become a better singer in addition to getting acting training. God, I was a snob.

So I'm allowing my more mature, show tune-singing self to embrace Glee. Those kids full of gumption have got me singing into my spatula and making me happy.

Let them do that for you.









*This blog and its contents not sponsored or affiliated in any way with FoxTV. Fair and balanced, my ass.

3 comments:

  1. We would like to thank Emi Ha for single-handedly trying to make the word "moxie" acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will make it popular or die trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or at least get a little bit uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete