Saturday, November 7, 2009

Comment: Bubble-wrapping our kids' feelings.

This is not a good idea.

Much as we hate to see our children suffer, espeically at the hands of other children we may find slightly, shall we say, bratty, we have to let our children fight their own battles.

This was illustrated for me in vivid shades today when my son was excluded from a game that the neighbors were playing. They said it was "girls only." But the boy next door, the brother of the ringleader, was allowed to play. He was the wagon driver.

It absolutely killed me to see my son run back home crying that he couldn't play. My husband and I were both outside, and we told him the same thing, go tell them, you can SO play! He did, but they did not relent. What's worse, the neighbor mother was outside being ineffectual. ARGH.

I told my son he doesn't have to play with people who are not nice to him. But he found his niche jumping into leaves with the kids only moments later. Adults take longer to let go of grudges and ill will. The kids were over it before the leaves fell to the ground.

Hours later it was all a memory, with apologies and peace offerings. All was right with the world.

It's just so hard to watch your kid get hurt. But I don't want to be that hyper-interfering 'helicopter parent' who's always buzzing within earshot.

On our small cul-de-sac, there are fourteen children under the age of fourteen. My children are going to learn some hard lessons. And some fun ones.

I'm going to need to get out of their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment