Monday, August 31, 2009

Comment: New Chapter

School starts tomorrow for my two kids. It’s the first FULL day of school ever for my son. He’s starting first grade at a new school, with new kids, a new teacher, and a new uniform. Tonight he was so excited he couldn’t get to sleep. My daughter just wanted to be in class already, and skip the sleep part. Everyone was pretty jacked up.

There’s something big dealish about your kids heading off to school. For the first time in their lives, they are going to be spending more time with someone else than with you. My daughter, who’s in PreK, has the option to do a full day, but we’re not quite ready for that yet.

And although I am happy for my son and daughter to be launching their academic careers in a great school, part of me is devastated. A chapter is over. The kids are moving on, (as well they should) and I need to re-identify myself as more and other than the mother of my kids.

Many women don’t have to deal with the identity shift, since they’ve opted to continue work since their children’s birth.

But I’ve had the luck and the honor of staying at home full time with my kids for six and a half years.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building.

It’s kind of intense to be wrapping up this part of our lives. I think my kids are ready for it.

But am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment