Sunday, August 30, 2009

Complaint: And Confession

Did you know you could make a Word file on your computer that makes the screen look like a notebook? Little lines and everything. What a blast from the past. Was that designed for us middle aged GenXers who are already sounding a little bit too much like Boomers by complaining that things aren’t the way they were in the good ole days? (for Boomers, the lament seems primarily to have to do with getting all the attention; why can’t they relinquish their death grip on everything and let us, and the growing Millenials, get a shot at fixing/fucking up the world? I mean, haven’t they done enough already?)

Where was I? Little cute ways computers look retro. That's pretty much it on that topic.

On a different note entirely, I wanted to acknowledge my friends in Southern California who are going through a nasty fire situation. It sounds really bad and looks really bad and apparently smells really bad. Hopefully there will be some containment soon. I have a lot of respect for people who fight fires. It’s a life-risking, terribly uncomfortable, uncertain and physically demanding job. I have a friend whose husband is a firefighter. I’m thinking of them especially.

In other news, I actually watched a few minutes of Kardashians (sp?) in Miami. I couldn’t take more than about three minutes. If you haven’t had the pleasure, it just shows these ditsy young women with booty-a-plenty (in both senses of the word) who are opening clothing stores while being paid to be on TV. How does a person get this gig? Um, connections, money and connections, plus more money, and a bonus of Barbie looks and killer ambition? Oh right. Yeah, that.

You’re not going to be seeing me on TV anytime soon.

But you will see me at Target.

I broke my own record at Target the other day. I don’t want to tell you how much was spent, because I’m embarrassed. But it’s back to school and back to work time, and stuff needs to be gotten (got? getted?). We're in a new climate, too. Plus I haven’t had a paid job since 2003. And my wardrobe reflects that fact. Very, very much.

So naturally I am in need of clothing to suit the occasion of job interviews and, well, jobs. I feel like a baby learning to walk. That is, if I could remember what it felt like to be a baby learning to walk. Scratch that.

I feel rusty. So I need to find some clothes that accentuate the rust, or better yet, camouflage it.

I’m sure I’ll have more commentary, complaints and questions about clothes in the coming weeks. I'm sure you won't want to miss a minute of that.

1 comment:

  1. But we do want a blow-by-blow of any and all job interviews.

    ReplyDelete