Sunday, August 16, 2009

Comment: Write On. (Sorry, don't throw me overboard!)

It’s funny to think that you can’t call yourself a writer until you publish somewhere, until someone besides you recognizes that you can, indeed, write.

But I’ve just taken an amazing writing class online with an amazing teacher (Ariel Gore) and I’ve really come to the conclusion that if you say you are a writer, you ARE a writer.

Simple as that.

I’m not saying everything I write is fabulous. Ditto for anyone else. But we are all as unique as fingerprints, so why shouldn’t our writing reflect that uniqueness and, dare I say, beauty?

Because not to get all Kum Ba Ya on your asses, but everyone does have something to say, and their own uniquely personal way of saying it.

Not every word by every person must be published. Words let out are words let out. That’s writing. Good, bad or indifferent. Somebody is going to dig your writing, if you look around long enough.

So I’m happy to say that I spent eight weeks with some amazing writers who all had their own spin on life, and brought their own words to our shared screens. I just loved reading other people’s work and I just loved the feedback I got. We had a little universe for two months, and I'll miss it.

But at least I can take this class again. And I will. Oh yes, I surely will.

1 comment: