Thursday, August 20, 2009

Comment: Taking a Minute to Remember

Inspired by my friend and fellow blogger The Solipsist, I'd like to just say a few brief words about the release of the guy who masterminded the Lockerbie Pan Am flight tragedy in 1989. He was released today to die at home from cancer. He got mercy for doing an evil and merciless thing.

Hard to reconcile.

I knew four of the kids on that plane. They were classmates of mine from Syracuse University. Miriam was a friendly acquaintance, full of life and joy. Nicole was quiet and intense and super talented. She was in my scene study class. Theo had written to me in a group letter I got from friends earlier that semester: she said she'd been thinking of me because she was planning on starting an alternative theatre company when she got back to the States. (I was especially alternative in those days.) She was mercurial and talented and beautiful and interesting. And then there was Turhan, who I didn't actually know, but who was a good friend's boyfriend at that time. They were all theatre majors, gifted and dynamic. They all dreamed of working in theatre for their whole lives. But those lives were cut short.

It's sad. It's horrible. I can't imagine the pain of the families.

I'm so sorry it happened and I send soothing thoughts to the families and hope the victims are resting in peace, or have been reincarnated into some wonderful animal, vegetable or mineral, where they are enjoying a new life. Who knows? Maybe they're doing something creative somewhere in some form right now. A person can dream.

1 comment:

  1. I'll echo my "Solipsist" comment here, Emi: It's enlightening, to say the least, to discover that your compassion isn't infinite. But bringing yourself back to experiences like this helps you remember why you have a set of values to begin with! I join you in your thoughts for the families and wishes for the souls of our friends. So very glad to be in touch with you!

    ReplyDelete