Friday, March 5, 2010

SMALL CHILDREN MAKE ME TIRED

Today I filled in for three different teachers in a single day, and although it was generally fun (and definitely not boring) I have this to say at this time:

FIRST GRADERS ARE NEEDY.

Perhaps this isn't such a newsflash for some of you, but in my experience teaching, I never spent a whole day (or most of one) with a group of six and seven year olds, attempting to do Math and Language Arts, among other things. I usually just spent an hour or two at a time with them. I'm not into the rhythm of being an every day first grade teacher. And man, is it HARD.

Especially on a Friday. When there's a BOOK FAIR. And a BAKE SALE.

Look, it's hard enough to keep kids focused on something on a plain on Wednesday with nary a book nor a baked good to be purchased. So it's several orders of magnitude harder to keep up with said kids on a day like today.

On the up side, I did get some very tasty treats.

On the down side, I wolfed them down so fast, I barely tasted them.

Then I was grouchy with my own kids, after fielding questions, comments and complaints from a bunch of other people's.

Some highlights:

"Why do you have your hair cut like a man?"

"He took my Legos. "

"I need help."

"She's not listening to me."

"Mrs. M, I need help."

"Can I go to the bathroom/nurse/library/cubby/backpack/office/drinking fountain?"

"Can I go now? How about now?"

"Mrs. M? Mrs. M? Mrs. M?"

"Why do you work here?"

Oh and the tears! The tears! These little ones burst into tears if they color the quarter the wrong color on their money counting page. Or if they spill yogurt. Or if they get in trouble. Oh, to have a stained shirt be the greatest of one's woes.

Anyway, I'm spent.

I tip my hat to all first grade teachers everywhere. You are my heroines and heroes, all.

1 comment: