Friday, March 19, 2010

I on the Ball

Today was a great day.

One of the reasons it was great was because I did something I absolutely suck at, in front of hundreds of people.

Really.

I played basketball, (and I use the term "played" lightly), in front of the entire population of my kids' school, which is also where I work part-time.

I went out in a t-shirt and sweats, and ran around like an idiot, leaping in people's faces and never being sure where I was allowed or supposed to be. (I called the "key" the "horseshoe". I thought Coach was going to have a seizure.)

Why did I do this? Coach asked. And Coach is an institution. He's only in his early fifties, but he's been at the school for over 30 years. You don't say no to Coach.

So I flailed around, got some cheers from some of my supporters, and didn't throw the ball the wrong way, or fall on top of anyone. I was quite good at waving my irregularly long arms at people, at random, when I thought they might have the ball at some point in the future.

I didn't score any points. Nada.

But I didn't lose the game.

We won by two, and that was good enough.

Sometimes, it's very liberating to do something you know you suck at. And just embrace the suckiness.

At the very least, it's highly humorous.

But for next year? I really should practice my foul shot. Or at least know where to stand.

1 comment: