Saturday, March 6, 2010

Girls' Night In

So I'm having some women over tonight for drinks and food. I've done the prep, I got gussied up, and now I'm waiting.

And I feel like I'm 13 again.

Because I'm inviting women I don't know very well. For an unstructured event. It's not the party of one of our kids, it's not a school event, and it's not a jewelry/tupperware/lingerie party.

I just decided, in my quest for happiness, to reach out to a handful of women I think are cool. I just invited them over, and let the chips fall where they may. Women need friendships in order to thrive, and I'm new in town, and it's hard to find time to have any kind of actual conversation with someone when you're helping your children get their boots off while you're double parked outside the school. Hence, tonight.

It's an experiment.

I have of course talked to all of them before. And they all have kids at my kids' school. But other than that, who knows what we have in common?

Time will tell.

But waiting for the magic time when the first doorbell rings? Is a little nerve-wracking.

Now where did I put that wine?

1 comment: