Thursday, March 4, 2010

Attack of the Psycho Faux-Hamster

Okay, so I made a tactical error having the Toys R Us website up when my daughter ambled over to see what I was doing last week. I should have closed the window, but nooo, she saw what was on the screen and in her uncanny-almost-five-year-old way, zeroed in on the crappiest, stupidest toy EVER. (NOT the one I was looking at, FYI)

Okay, maybe not ever, but close.

Zhu Zhu. The virtual hamster. In pink, natch. With cute outfits! (Clothes sold separately).

I caved. And several days later, there was Zhu Zhu, the electronic pseudo-hamster.

We turned it on. It squeaked, and its little wheels (wheels?!) started whirring and whirling about.

And kept going.

And going.

And GOING.

Apparently there was some sort of short in our finely-made piece of crap toy, and it WOULDN'T TURN OFF.

Withing seconds, both of my children were HYSTERICAL.

Ever the alert mother, I immediately found the screwdriver I kept on hand for such electronic debacles, and promptly removed the batteries.

So now my daughter has a very small stuffed animal with wheels. A very expensive small stuffed animal with wheels that she will lose.

Why, I ask you?

The only saving grace? I did NOT buy the thing any outfits. In our house, all hamsters, whether faux or real, do NOT wear bonnets or party dresses.

1 comment: