Sunday, March 28, 2010

Age of Irritability

Have I reached that point already?

Am I already considered old enough to be retired? I'm barely getting back to work after having my kids, FFS.

I still have all my lady parts! (as does Jane Lynch, FYI)

Seriously: I just received a card from the AARP.

WTF?

I'm UNDER 45.

In today's new aging system, where 75 year olds work and 50 is the new 40, how in the sam heck does that qualify me for the AARP?!

My mom is 30 years older than me and SHE isn't retired, that's for damn sure. And isn't planning on being retired any time soon. Ditto my dad, my stepdad, and my mother in law.

So what in the WORLD is a card with my (misspelled) name doing in their databases?

And yet...what kind of perks would I receive with said card, I wonder?

Early bird dinners are already on my schedule: I have small children.

Would I get a discount into a museum? Or perhaps Tax-Free Tuesdays for seniors at Barnes and Noble? I do love a good book.

At least I'm doing something retired people allegedly do a lot: complain.

Maybe I should hang on to this card after all.

2 comments:

  1. Discount movie tickets! Of course, you have to go to the theater with a walker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't underestimate a good ebs (early bird special)!

    ReplyDelete