Monday, October 19, 2009

Question: How does it feel to know that what you are doing is beautiful?

And that YOU look beautiful doing it?

We went to the ballet yesterday (more hilarity on that to follow in next post) and as these perfect people with their shiny costumes and glittery tiaras contorted themselves into shapes most of us could never assume, even in utero, I thought, wow, what’s that like, to be doing a thing of beauty that is almost universally recognized as such?

Because even if you don’t like ballet, when you see a ballerina whip around on her toes ON THE HARD STAGE, did I mention it’s her TOES? It’s hard not to admire it, and to find what she’s doing impressive, and, in some way, beautiful.

Because I’m not particularly coordinated, I will never feel or look like these ballerinas. I just don’t have it in me. I’m Olive Oyl with post-punk elements and a muffin top.

But the way these ballet dancers had the grace and the dignity of dance, the way they posed and preened for the audience had me floored. They KNOW they’re super fantastic and gorgeous. Even if the actual person isn’t that good looking, what they are doing makes them beautiful. People gasp, ooh, ahh and clap.

What must that be like? To be applauded for being and doing a thing of beauty?

But more on the applause tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking as one who receives standing ovations every day, we find it hard to relate to your query. We can't imagine what the lack of applause sounds like. What is the sound of no hands clapping?

    ReplyDelete