Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Comment: The Ambivalent Doctor

I had an amusing experience today at the doctor's. I went in due to a nagging earache that had just gone on for far too long.

The doctor, a middle aged, mellow and chatty guy, wasn't really sure it was too big of a deal. But it was some kind of deal.

So he prescribed me antibiotics.

What struck me was how, unenthused he was about the diagnosis. I mean, he was all, "Well, it's not a BAD infection, it's just sort of a SMALL one, so you know, if it was ME, I'd take antibiotics. I mean, amoxicillin isn't you know, a hard core drug. Do you get yeast infections? Eat some yogurt. Yeah, I'd take them if I were you. Call me if you're not feeling better!"

This speech didn't exactly inspire confidence.

But it was refreshing in its honesty. I knew I wasn't in grave danger and just wanted to find out what he thought, since he can see into my ear, and I can't.

But it was the most grudging prescription for antibiotics I've ever seen.

But, you know, I think I'm going to take his advice and like, probably take the antibiotics.

But it's not a BIG deal.

1 comment:

  1. Just a note to explain our prolonged absence from your little corner of the blogosphere. Blame it on Google. For some reason, our dashboard hasn't been informing us of your postings--the last one it told us of was "OMG. This Book Rocks." We just assumed your prolonged silence was due to the frenetic requirements of housewarming (in the metaphorical and literal senses of the word). So, now we know to check QCC every day to make sure we're not missing a thing. And we're glad to see you've been actively writing away.

    ReplyDelete