Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Complaint: Sizes 5-10, 11.

Those numbers ring any bells?

If you're a lady who shops for shoes from catalogs or online, you do.

Yes, it's how sizing availability is indicated.

Have you noticed this?

If you're some petite and delicate 5, you haven't. If you're Mama-Bear-just-right size 7, likewise.

But if you have feet the size of BOATS, you're aware of this.

It's foot segregation. And discrimination.

Why don't they say sizes 5-11? Why do they have to separate the 11s from the rest of the pack? When we wear new shoes, do we not bleed? We are human beings. We have feelings.

Why do all catalog and online retailers feel the need to ostracize those of us with the largest feet in the room?

Isn't it bad enough that people see our feet enter said room ten minutes before we do?

When I was teaching preschool, the kids used to trip over my feet. You think I'm kidding.

Now, I used to be a big, boat-like size 10. But after I had my kids, two things happened: my feet grew and my boobs shrank and dropped like anchors. (TMI? Sorry.)

So now I am, most of the time, a size 11.

Oh, the humanity.

So I really do NOT need to be reminded of this fact every time I open a Land's End or Gap catalog (not that this happens too much. Doc Martens are much more civilized, with their Euro sizing, bless them.)

So the next time you're perusing some junk mail, take a moment and look at the sizing availability for women's shoes.

Do you not see how we ache?

1 comment:

  1. Why not just keep the top size 10 but make 10 a bit louder--uh, larger.

    So, wait, you have bigger feet than the Solipsist?!?

    That's depressing for both of us.

    ReplyDelete