Friday, June 19, 2009

Complaint: Me No Think Good

I couldn’t quite put my finger on why I felt my brain atropyhing at such an increasingly rapid rate until I realized the cause: I got no NPR.

There is an NPR station here in our new city, but I haven’t found it yet, don’t have a radio, and haven’t gotten around to getting it online, which, apparently, I have to do. Because NPR here plays lots of music in between the talking. Me? I’m partial to the talking. In California, it was all talk all the time. Don’t give me Bach, give me Mellisa Block. Please.

I miss NPR. I miss the sound of adults talking in multisyllables about things other than snacks or whose turn it is on the computer.

The adults I’ve come to worship and adore and yet will never meet, are absent from my life and I feel that loss excruciatingly. The closest I came to NPR in the past week was today, when the "Car Talk" guys did a guest spot on “Arthur” on PBS. Seriously. And FYI, “Arthur” is annoying; not as annoying as his Canadian comrade “Caillou” (who is insufferable to the extreme) but irritating nonetheless. I’ve noticed a lot of kids’ animated shows come out of Canada. And I’m wondering why my homeland isn’t more capable of less annoying shows. (What is UP with Canadian TV? Seriously, I’ve been asking for years and nobody’s got an answer. There are tons of talented people in Canada, and yet the TV remains mediocre at best, except for Codco and all its offshoots, and Kids in the Hall, which is no longer on.)

I can tell I’ve been watching too much TV because my attention span is so much shorter.

What was I talking about again?

Oh right, NPR, intelligent voices.

I want my brain back.

Kai, Michelle, Karl, Peter, Ira, this I pledge, I will come back to you, somehow, as God is my witness, because tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't almost all American TV shows made in Canada these days, anyway? Does that count as American or Canadian? Or is it a strange hybrid? Like some of our favorite bloggers.

    ReplyDelete