Monday, June 1, 2009

Comment: The Chicken Nuggets of Remorse

Again with the remorse.

Tonight, as my children ate disturbingly disfigured breaded chicken parts, I realized we are a long way from where I want us to be.

And I don’t mean strictly geographically, although of course, I’d like for us to be with my husband/their dad, in the same place, all four of us, natch.

But I mean, I’m exhausted doing the solo parent thing, the kids are anxious and needy, and I’m feeding them fucking chicken nuggets? This is not the mother or person I want to be.

I had an epiphany of why people decide to be vegetarian or vegan: when you really think about processed food, especially meat, it’s just downright nasty (and I haven’t even read Fast Food Nation).

But what really got me was the fact that lately, my kids like to pretend they’re baby chicks, and they were talking about how this processed crap they were eating was a chick once. Maybe it’s the stress of moving and feeling like crap, but it just depressed the hell out of me to think of baby chicks and the food we eat. I made the connection in a way that I hadn’t before and I didn’t like it.

So now I'm the chick whisperer? No, I just think I understand why people actively choose not to eat animals. And I’m starting to wonder if I can be that person. I don’t want to lord it over anyone; I’m not into the self-righteous, preachy scene. I just don’t know that I want to eat meat anymore. And I’m not sure my kids do, either. They’re just not that excited about it to begin with.

Surely there is a book out there that talks about how to feed your family veggie style. And websites, too, a plenty, I would imagine. Probably loads of info.

Maybe it’s time to think outside the cow. Am I really ready for this? I’m pretty beat right now. Perhaps changing my family’s entire eating structure isn’t the wisest choice at this exact time and place. But know this: no more chicken nuggets. We’re through. If we’re going to eat chicken, and that’s an IF, then we’re not going to eat it so processed it’s like eating an entirely different food group.

Yeah, I said it. Anyone wanna piece of me?

2 comments:

  1. 7 ingredients. Nothing you eat should have more than 7 ingredients. Most should have less.

    Just checked my trader joes roasted garlic hummus, and I'm good. However, the tandoori garlic naan is out at 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Omnivore's Dilemma McD's chicken nuggets has 32 ingredients!!! scaaary. But don't substitute them with Soy nuggets either...also pretty processed! sigh...

    ReplyDelete