Thursday, June 18, 2009

Comment: Me Like TV

For the next two months or so, we’re staying in a place that has cable TV, which, avid readers know, is 100% more network TV than anyone in my family has had in about five years. In the past, I got my TV fix online with “Lost” and “30Rock” while learning to lip-read with my lame connection on my laptop. I don’t usually miss having TV. Most of it sucks, in spite of the five billion channels available.

My kids are already walking around the apartment saying, "Coming up next: Mickey's Clubhouse, here on Playhouse Disney", which is scary considering we've only had TV for four days.

And lest you think I'm immune to the screen's charms...come on, I'm only human. And I just watched part of “So You Think You Can Dance.” This show, I really enjoy. In spite of all the hooting, screeching and endless personal stories, it’s worth watching strictly for the dancing. It’s kick ass. It’s amazing. And there’s nothing else like it on TV that I know of, bearing in mind that I’m an avid reader of “Entertainment Weekly” so even if I haven’t seen a show, I am aware of it.

Although similar in format to“American Idol", SYTYCD is different. With AI, we’ve all seen it so many times that it’s just dial-a-singer now. (There's always someone with pink hair, isn't there? I haven't seen the show in years but somehow it seems like every season some female constestant has pink hair.) But SYTYCD is compelling because when these kids dance, they really are baring their bodies and souls. Most reality TV is faux-reality. It’s scripted and set up, and people are very aware that they are being filmed. It's a self-conscious performance of non-performing. It's not sincere.

But SYTYCD isn't self-conscious. These kids are literally and physically laying their dreams at your feet. And that's touching in its innocence and earnestness.

And dance is not something you see most days, unless it’s your profession. So to watch the grace and beauty of excellent dancers is kinda nice.

But my favorite part is the passion these dancers bring to their art. There’s not enough passion (or art) in the world these days. Even though it’s tarted up for TV with those personal narratives and shrieking judges, it’s still pure somehow.

And that, ladies and gents, is my definition of good TV.

1 comment: