Saturday, June 27, 2009

Comment: Private Analysis

So I'm in the process of applying to private schools for my kids. Alert readers know this is already major cognitive dissonance for me and my husband. I've seen two schools, and have loved one of them.

Why? Because it's nurturing, kind, and my kids will get lots of individualized attention and instruction.

Who doesn't want that for their children?

I wish public schools were in better shape, but they're not. We're lagging behind most other nations and yet we spend so much on education. It's an uncomfortable paradox. I still feel like a hypocrite for considering sending my kids to private school. And yet.

And yet. Every parent wants what's best for their child. (I'd argue that even those who don't look like they care about their kids, on some level, do. But not everyone goes to a lot of trouble for their kids. There's a difference between care and love.)

I'm supposed to write on the application form what I want my children to get out of being at the school.

At first, I was stymied. Was this a trick question? Was there some right way to answer this that would be my kids' golden ticket?

But then I realized, if I just tell the truth, that's going to have to be good enough. And the truth is, I want my kids to feel loved, respected, and challenged, in a safe, nurturing environment. I have to fill out two forms, but I want the same thing for both of my children, as different as they are, so I'm going to write exactly the same thing on both applications. (That's not plagiarism, is it? If it's your own work? Or is it nepotism? Dude, your MOM filled out your private school app! That is sooo old school!)

I don't have my head around it all yet, but I'm hoping that my kids will love the school as much as I do, and that one day I might teach there, too. I could use some nurturing, love and challenges in a safe environment.

Who couldn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment