Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Complaint: I need a nanny.

I do.

Not for my kids.

For me.

If there’s one thing you learn as a mom, there is nobody to take care of you the way you take care of your family. And right now I have no back-up, so it’s solo parenting, which definitionally means there is nobody at home to take care of me.

I want someone to cook for me and wash my clothes or at least give me a week off once in awhile. Hell, I’d settle for a day. If I had a nanny, a mother-nanny (Manny? Mamanana?), I could come and go as I pleased, and as a bonus, I’d have someone to help me pick out my outfits!

I’m thinking, Mary Poppins-ish, but no need for the magic umbrella. I just want someone to cook me dinner, and help me clean my room.

In some ways, those home makeover shows are like Nanny 911s for your house. And of course there’s the ubiquitous Nanny 911 in its pure form; but it primarily deals with how you take care of your kids. And I want a nanny to take care of me.

Do I sound petulant? Brooding? Whiny?

I sound like a tired and overstimulated child because I feel like one.

I’ve heard people say “I want a wife”, male and female alike, but maybe what they really mean is, “I want a nanny.”

Or, even more likely, they’re saying, “I want my mommy.”

Regression, anyone?

1 comment: