Monday, June 8, 2009

Comment: It always comes back to Facebook.

At one point do you just throw up your hands and say, that’s it, I’m totally overstimulated and just want to hide under the bed?

There’s an old Savoyard proverb that goes, “I have so much to do that I am going to bed.”

Counter-intuitive, perhaps, but makes sense when you let it sink in. If you have too much to do, you are no doubt burning the candle at both ends, and if so, you are exhausted. If you are too exhausted to take care of everything, you may as well chuck it for the day and go to sleep. Perspective has a way of creeping in during sleep. And energy. And focus. And a better attitude.

Because right now I have a poor attitude. My daughter left her pink teddy bear at a playdate this afternoon and I got so unnecessarily mad about it. Why? No good reason. Displaced stress, no doubt. It’s a totally normal and expected thing for a small child to do, and on most days wouldn’t phase me, but since we’re in the pressure cooker of the pre-move-with-spouse-across-country-saying-goodbye/see you later-parties-end-of-school-year-all-the-while-trying-to-prep-the-house-for-movers, my composure? Gone.

Good attitude? Not.

If I were Twittering (and I’m so glad I’m not) (and you should be, too) I would be saying, “seething….irritable…frustrated…exhausted…tired…still irritable…feel like running away from home….overwhelmed…” How lame a narrative is that? Is that monologue necessary for anyone else to hear besides me?

We are all so endlessly interesting to ourselves.

But that’s the advantage Facebook has over Twitter. Twitter is totally TMI, while Facebook lets you take a brief glimpse into other people’s lives so you know they are still chugging along, wherever they may be. That's okay with me.

Yes, I’m coming to terms with my love/hate relationship with Facebook.

But I still refuse to do the quizzes or throw sheep. I mean, come on, sheep? WTF?

And now, with a plate full of too much to do, I’m going to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Uhhh. . . .Does that mean I SHOULDN'T throw a sheep at you?

    ReplyDelete