Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring Forward, land on your ass. Fall Backward, land on your ass.

Daylight Savings Time has kicked in, or has it stopped? I’m never sure. And all week long people on the radio and in person have been complaining about losing the hour of sleep this weekend.

But I say, if you can sleep as long as you want on that day, how is it that you’re losing anything? Don’t you just change your clocks AFTER you get up? Theoretically, you’re losing an hour of your morning, not your night.

Certainly, if you have somewhere you have to be or you have small children, you will most definitely lose an hour of sleep. And if you have a child who’s going through a phase where she needs to be in Mommy and Daddy’s bed every freaking night from midnight to wake up, you’re going to lose an hour of kicky, squirmy, bed-hogged sleep.

But I’m not bitter.

I actually embrace the hour, because I love the fact that it stays light later. It makes my intention to go running or run an errand after supper more feasible, albeit not always a reality. When it’s dark by 5 pm, I just want to go to sleep. My circadian rhythm rejoices at the extra hour of daylight. Plus, if the kids are wired after supper, you can send them out into the backyard. You don’t do that in the winter when it’s cold and dark, it seems somehow wrong. (Refer to “The Simpsons” in the episode where Marge says, “I worry about Bart. There’s something unwholesome about a boy flying a kite at night.” And then you see Bart, in the dark, with his kite, saying a la Norman Bates, “Hello, Mother.”)

It’s now 7:36 pm, or is it 6:36 pm? Are we now back to “normal” so it really and truly is 7:36? Are we starting or finishing something? Does it even matter? At least our clock switch doesn’t cause headaches and nosebleeds like it does in Lost. If you ever feel ripped off or cranky about losing an hour of sleep, watch the show. They have WAY more problems than you or I. They wouldn’t even blink at a one hour time shift.

1 comment:

  1. You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Daylight Savings Time is wrong. Bad and wrong! KEDER (a Kosher Seder--but aren't they all?)

    ReplyDelete