Monday, March 9, 2009

Question: What's on your list?

Life is easier in list form.

When I get anxious (which is often), I do two things: if there’s a problem, I seek out a book about it, buy it, read it, and feel slightly better. In addition, I usually end up making a list. Pros and cons, sequences, lists of gift recipients for holidays, grocery items, party planning, even playdates. I love lists so much I was once in a play where I was a character who actually said the line: “I love making lists!” (Never was I so compelling. Art imitating life or life imitating art?)

It just calms me down to get things in a list and see that what I may have perceived as a draconian task is in fact several small tasks that don’t need to be overwhelming. It’s the whole “one step at a time” thing. (For you Anne Lamott fans, the “bird by bird” thing.)

There’s a lot going on right now in my family’s life, so I have a few lists I need to go and make right now; I’ll leave you, natch, a list in parting.

Why Do I Love Lists?

1. They help me organize concrete activities.
2. They help me organize abstract thoughts.
3. I think better and more clearly in sequence.
4. They help break down a large task in several smaller ones.
5. They help me make decisions (e.g. pros and cons).
6. I love to check things OFF the list.
7. They make me feel like like a grown-up.
8. They’re fun!
9. I feel safer when I'm following directions.
10. Lists give the illusion of being in control.


Why do you make lists?

No comments:

Post a Comment