Sunday, March 22, 2009

Question: Who sends cash in the mail?

I mean, other than kindly older relatives who send you five dollars, that is. (A trend that is rapidly dying and being replaced by the simplicity and cheapicity of the dreaded e-card.)

I didn’t know people sent money anymore. Isn’t it illegal? Or at the very least, kind of dumb? I mean, today I nearly shredded some document from Neilsens and as I started to rip it, I noticed that there were ten dollars in it.

Yes, a fiver and five ones.

And I was about to recycle the whole damn thing.

So I read on. And found that a memory resurfaced, because the envelope came from Neilsens.

We used to get Neilsens ratings requests back in the day, too, but you didn’t get so much cash. Cost of living increases notwithstanding, ten bucks is nothing to sniff your nose at. In the olden days, you got two silver dollars or four fifty cent pieces, or something like that. I remember, because it felt like such a deal: watch TV and get paid!

What cracks me up is that we basically don’t have TV. Not one that has any stations. So the only TV we watch is online. But that still counts, apparently.

So I filled out their little anonymous survey, and the claim is, they will send $20 after they receive said survey. I don’t know if it’s going to bee a gift certificate, a tax credit, or cold hard cash, but if they sent it once, who knows? Maybe lightning will strike twice.


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

In other news, I have noticed that in spite of stressful goings-on in my household, I am less lonely and less anxious since quitting Facebook. I’m still in touch with the people I was already in touch with anyway, just by slightly different means. Most people, I’m sure, haven’t even noticed that I’ve disappeared. I can feel the neuroses falling left and right.

No comments:

Post a Comment