Friday, March 6, 2009

Comment: Suddenly superfluous.

My little babies are growing up. We had a “drop off playdate” today with a friend of my son’s. The two boys went into the living room and my daughter followed them. They played and interacted and they didn’t need me.

It’s amazing to reach the point where you realize your kids don’t need your (usually unnecessary) social engineering skills anymore.

I’m not saying there’s never going to be an intervention of some kind in a social challenge with my kids. That stuff never stops, even when you’re grown. But I sat in the kitchen today and listened to my son and his friend talk nicely to each other, listen, share, and all the stuff we hope we are teaching our children. And my daughter, ever the social butterfly, is happy playing with or alongside any friend who comes into our house, no matter whose actual friend it is.

I’m not needed in there. Should I be baking cookies or something? Stirring Tang and making Rice Krispie ™ treats? I need to do something. But what? I’m quite sure there should be some bustling involved. Should I just sit here and revel in the evolution of my children’s social skills? Probably.

It’s a bit lonely without a mom to talk to, but I’ll survive. I’m getting the opportunity to listen to the kids when they don’t think anyone is paying attention. I’m sure I’ll learn a lot this way.

And in the meantime, I think I have some muffin mix somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment