Thursday, January 15, 2009

Comment: So it’s come to this.

The poll results are in.

“We Built this City” is the number one pick, tied with “Who Can it Be Now”?! Has the whole world gone mad? And one measly vote for Right Said Fred’s insightful ditty. (Yes, that was my vote, so it doesn’t really count.) But come on, people, no offense to you personally but do you honestly think you could stand “We built this city, built this city on rooooock and roll, built this city, built this city on rock and roooooollll” in your head every minute of every day for the rest of your life?

I’m just sayin'.

I realize I didn’t give you much choice, and that was deliberate. Sometimes in life we have to choose the lesser of the evils, so I was just, you know, keepin’ it real. That’s what the kids do, right?

But I admit I am biased, and I think that “We Built This City” is the worst song ever written, produced or performed. What the hell does it even mean? I’d be willing to build my city on a foundation of unsold 45 rpm record albums of this song, but I’d never really want to only build and base my entire existence on rock and/or roll, at least not as defined by Starship, formerly Jefferson Starship, formerly Jefferson Airplane (when they were good; Try “Go Ask Alice” if you want to hear Grace Slick’s vocals put to proper use) .

Besides, the song isn’t even ROCK and/or ROLL. It’s pop. It’s craptastic. It’s…but I’ve said too much.

You all picked what you perceived to be the least sucky song of the bunch, and what a bunch it was. I will admit to being relieved that none of you chose “Havin’ My Baby”. That’s pretty much one of the worst songs, but not THE worst. The Circle Jerks do a GREAT cover of it, complete with crying baby sounds. Worth a listen.

The Men at Work selection, “Who Can it Be Now?” isn’t all bad; it’s about paranoia and that’s always a kick, but the echoing sax really works my nerves. You know what I’m talking about. Unless of course you’re under 30, in which case you’re not reading this anyway, you’re doing Wii fit or texting your BFF, OMG.

So thank you for your participation in this survey. I endeavor to find random and/or obscure things to quiz on. So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment