Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Comment: Ode to Mayo

So it’s come down to this, again. By a 3 to 1 margin, the rabid readers of QCC are laying it out there for mayonnaise. Give it up for the fattiest, most delicious condiment of all time! (or at least, this month)

Sure, ketchup has its place, but I’ve always preferred vinegar on my fries (as per my Quebec heritage) or, drool, the blessed mayonnaise we love. Have you had mayonnaise on fries? It’s exquisite.

Mustard is useful in the sandwich realm, you know, processed meats enjoy it; and hot sauce is fine for those who have a thing for watery eyes and burnt tracheas.

But mayonnaise, dear mayo, you are the Ruler of All Condiments, the RAC.

I know it’s not really that good for you, but it does contain eggs, and that’s protein, baby. There’s something comforting about mayonnaise. I think that’s why it won the poll. You can’t be comforted by ketchup—delighted, maybe, but not comforted.

And neither mustard nor hot sauce can be considered comforting by any stretch of the imagination. They’re too tangy, too zippy, too in your face.

Give me mayonnaise in times of trouble. It’s the balm that soothes.

1 comment:

  1. I mean, really, I was disappointed that salsa was not a choice. Or bacon. (Yes, bacon is a condiment--you can put it on anything, including mayonnaise!) (Verification word: "anize"--sounds dirty.)

    ReplyDelete