Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Complaint: I'm Not Done Complaining Yet

I must rail on about Lost.

It bugged me so much it interrupted my sleep, dammit.

Why did they have to end it in such a lame-ass, sheepish, pathetic way?

I mean, couldn't they have come up with something better than the purgatory hug-fest? That left so much dangling, it wasn't even funny. Or maybe it was. But if it was, it was only funny to the show's creators. As they laughed all the way to the bank. The bastards.

I was definitely not amused. The show spent so much time showing us these different and inter-connected realities, and exploring all that Jacob/Man in Black crap, and then, poof, gone. "Hey everybody, when we die instantaneously at the beginning of this show, let's all go and meet up at that inclusive church in Los Angeles! And let's be sure to leave the audience hanging out to dry, the chumps! Don't answer any questions!"

This reminds me of a film I saw back in the 80s called Jacob's Ladder. It was a war movie, set in Vietnam, I think; it was about a guy who (quelle coincidence!) is named Jacob. We see all the trials and travails he undergoes post-war. He is a mess.

Then, SPOILER ALERT: after all this shit he goes through, it turns out the whole thing was a massive hallucination while he lay on the operating table on the battlefield, dying.

So rude.

Others have compared this to Bob Newhart Show's dream-within-a-show sequence. But Lost can't pull a Bob Newhart; it's not a comedy and it never will be, unless you find it amusing to watch years' worth of interesting tangents and threads shredded and left dangling in the breeze.

And the closing credits, which I nearly missed because they automatically minimized on Hulu, show the plane wreckage with NOBODY around, implying that everyone died at the beginning of this massive charade, so the whole thing was bullshit.

How rude.

Seriously? I feel totally ripped off.

If I had the power to be a smoke monster, I just might use it.

Protect the light, my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment