Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Comment: Baby on Board

No, I'm not pregnant. (it's water weight, shut up!)

But there is a baby (of sorts) in the house for the next six weeks.

I'm watching my sister's beloved and intrepid pooch, Max, while she is the chief scientist on a geologic expedition around the Galapagos Islands. (Apparently there is no Lido Deck on her cruise, nor a perky cruise director with a coke habit. Ahh, the 80s; good times.)

Having a dog is so much like having a newborn, it's not even funny. Or maybe it is.

In the past three days, I have been immersed into the world of little Max: his eating, walking and sleeping habits, medications, grooming, and such. I want to do the best possible job taking care of this job because (a) I love my sister and (b) I love this dog and (c) I'm not made of stone.

So the family is rallying in support of this new arrival. And caring for him feels a little familiar somehow.

Because I remember being absolutely immersed in the new way of life that comes with a new life. And even though Max is not a puppy, he is dependent on us to take care of him completely, just like a newborn. And I have these vague memories of newborn days when I was all attention and exhaustion, elation and anxiety.

Today, on my first day solo with him, I watched his every reaction to noise, food, the kids (all good) and to the rain (not an issue). I watched him mark his territory until there was absolutely no way on this earth he could have a drop of urine left in him with which to mark. And still he performance peed on every shrub, bush and fire hydrant.

I checked the frequency and the consistency of his bowel movements. It's been years since I've done that. No wonder this feels like deja vu all over again.

And just like I settled into parenting, I know I and my family will settle into caring for this dear creature. At first it's nerve-wracking, because you don't know what to expect, but over time it becomes lovely and feels natural, and you can't imagine not having this being in your house with you.

And yes, a sleeping dog is pretty damn cute, too.

1 comment:

  1. "I got this sign for our car [Baby on Board]. Now, people will stop intentionally running into us."--Marge Simpson

    ReplyDelete