Thursday, May 6, 2010

Comment: So Addicted

Oh man, I am so hooked on Glee. Is there crack in their music or something?

I can't get enough of the music or show, and some of it hasn't even aired yet, but I've pre-ordered the CD like a rabid fool.

What does this say about my life?

I think in an earlier post, I talked about how I was a snobby ACTING MAJAH in college, and that my friends and I were pretty elitist about musical theatre people.

Just give me a minute, I'm choking on a few dozen words.

I wish I'd done musical theatre, so I could be a semi-triple threat, instead of a monomaniacal slight disturbance. Or something.

But back to Glee.

This last episode (SPOILER ALERT!) took the one-hit wonders we and VH1's viewing audience love to mock, and it ROCKED.

Total Eclipse of the Heart? Check.
Run Joey Run? Check.
Ice, Ice Baby? Check.
Physical? Check and mate.

It couldn't have been more fun.

I guess that's the bottom line about Glee: I (we) love it because it's fun. Not saccharine, high school musical fun, and not dark as a Coen brothers movie, but sweetness with a sharp little razor blade hidden in it.

Come on, have you ever seen a character as outrageous as Sue Sylvester, who says things like, "You should be wetting yourselves in shame" to her students? And then does a Madonna video (and pretty well, at that) and says she hates Will Shuster?

I really wish they'd cover Midnight at the Oasis. I'd love to see Sue say "Send your camel to bed" with a straight face.

I'm just sayin'.

2 comments:

  1. OK, look: We'll put "Glee" on our Netflix queue, but you have GOT to start watching some gritty dramas: The Wire, Mad Men, Dexter, Breaking Bad. . . .There's only so much boundless optimism and joy one Solipsist can take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Midnight at the Oasis...an underappreciated, fabulous song. I play it even now on my ipod/iphone--a true pop song great in my book!

    ReplyDelete