Friday, June 18, 2010

Question: Are We All Destined to Mellow as We Age?

I mean, if even twentysomething M.I.A. is mellowing, what hope is there for Generation X?

I'm not talking about her "Born Free" video, which I have deliberately not watched, because I don't like violence. I appreciate M.I.A. for her fierce spirit and her fearless provocative work, so I don't need to be reminded of it by watching a video that is obviously trying to make a point, but one that I already get.

It's just that I just downloaded her newest single, "XXXO" and, message notwithstanding (the anomie of texty relationships), it's so.....tame... lame...the same...as everyone else.

She used to really kick ass in a progressive sense, but now that she's had a kid and hit her midtwenties, she's...singing?

What the what?

What does SINGING have to do with M.I.A.?

She's a freestylie rapper chick. The singing was always incidental. What's up with the singing?

Anywho, I'm just feeling slighlty dispirited because if even M.I.A. is going for the status quo, where does that leave the rest of geezahs?

Damn.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Emi, we're sure people don't mellow as they age. And if you're feeling distressed, then, y'know, we're here for you. We can brew some tea, put on some light jazz, and just talk it out at length, maybe shed a tear or two, laugh softly and--

    OMIGOD IT'S HAPPENING!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete